Search This Blog

Tuesday, 15 April 2014

Liebster Award

Hello!

I have been nominated for a Liebster Award by Carmen Seegmiller at Book and Bliss!


This is such an exciting surprise, given my newness to blogging.  According to the rules, to accept this nomination, I have to:


1. Link back to the blog that nominated me
2. Nominate 5-11 blogs with fewer than 200 followers
3. Answer the questions posted for me by my nominator
4. Share 11 random facts about myself
5. Contact my nominees and let them know that I nominated them



Here are my answers to my nominator's questions:
1. What is your favorite children's literature book to read aloud?
It's not easy to pick just one, but I really love The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White.  
 
2. How many students are in your class? What do you think would be the best class size to have?
This year, I am teaching in a middle school.  I have 7 classes (5 English, 2 Social Studies).  Most have 27 or 28, although one just has 21.  Our blocks are 70 minutes long, and I really enjoy the amount of time I get to spend with each student in my small class. In my larger blocks, it's difficult to talk with every student every day.  I'd love if all my classes were around 23-24 students.  I could move some furniture out of my classroom and have more space to spread out.
3. How do you de-stress from an exhausting day at the "office"?
I record Ellen every day, and as soon as I come home, I sit down and watch her for an hour and don't have to think about anything else.  On Friday afternoons and weekends, I de-stress by going out to movies and, on nice days, reading at the beach. 
4. If you could teach any subject all day long, what would it be?
I love teaching French and I love teaching Social Studies.  I don't think I could choose just one.
5. What is the one country you would like to visit?
I have so many on my list!  The top of my list includes Scotland, France, Italy, Croatia, and Greece.
6. What is one supply in your class you just can't get enough of?
Pencils!  They must be eating them, because there are never any pencils!
7. How long have you been teaching? Do you imagine retiring as a teacher?
I started teaching in 2010 and I can't imagine ever doing anything else!
8. What is your favorite store or website to shop for school related items?
The Dollarama!  I have found great stuff there for only a dollar!  I got a whole class set of 30 mini whiteboards and markers for only $25!
9. What is your favorite part of your classroom?
I am, unfortunately, in a portable at my school, but my favourite part of my classroom is when I can open the doors and windows and get fresh air.  I love that some students can also trickle outside and do their work in the sun, while others can stay inside.  

10. What is the best piece of advice you would offer to newbie teachers?
Make sure you are having fun!  If you aren't having fun, neither are your students.  Also, make sure to stay flexible.  Just because it's on the lesson plan, doesn't mean you have to get to it!
 
11. If you could meet anyone for a day, who would it be?
 Ellen DeGeneres.


Here are 11 random facts about me:
1. I love country music.
2. I don't like pink and green together.  I don't know why, but there are so many other colour combinations that work so much better.
3. I don't eat rice or pasta.  It's only because of the texture.
4. I use a lot of exclamation points when I write!
5. My sister taught me to read when I was 4 and she was 6.  She read me Lady and the Tramp over and over until I could read it, but I kept getting stuck on the word "Xmas," I couldn't sound it out.
6. This year is my high school 10-year reunion
7. I can't swallow pills
8. I have a crush on Rob Lowe and David Boreanaz (but who doesn't?)
9. I love Greek food
10. If I could have any superpower, I would want to speak every language in the world.
11. My Halloween costume from last year is still in my car (I was a peacock).


To my nominees, I ask:
1. What is your favourite subject to teach?
2. Why did you start blogging?
3. How do you de-stress after an exhausting day at school?
4. Where is your favourite place in the world?
5. What is the most useful or creative education website you've seen?
6. What is your best teaching moment?
7. Who was your most memorable teacher?  Why?
8. What is the best piece of advice you have for new teachers?
9. How long have you been teaching?
10. What is your favourite thing about teaching?
11. If you could spend the day with one person, who would it be?

My nominees are:

Kristen Dembroski

Readbox

Little Room Under The Stairs

Mrs. Spangler in the Middle

Polka Dot Lesson Plans



Carmen, thanks again for the recognition!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the nomination!! I am working on this right now. :)

    ReplyDelete