Search This Blog

Friday, 25 April 2014

My First "Five for Friday"

http://doodlebugsteaching.blogspot.ca/2014/04/five-for-friday-linky-party-april-25th.html


 This is my first time joining Doodle Bugs Teaching's "Five for Friday" linky party!  I'm so excited!
This past weekend, I had a fantastic Easter dinner with my family at Shawnigan Lake.  There were about 28 people (Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Grandparents) eating turkey and ham cooked at a campsite!  It rained a little, but was mostly dry for dinner itself!  I took some photos of the lake - it was gorgeous!



And this is me and my nephew, Caleb, before dinner.

My Grade 9's have been writing sonnets this week, and here's one I got today.  It's stream of consciousness within a rhyme scheme!  I love it!




Our school has been raising money for the family of one of our students who has been diagnosed with cancer.  Today, we held a run/walk-a-thon, with all proceeds going to the family.  I teach English and Social Studies to my homeroom group.  I challenged them to raise $100, and if they succeeded, we would be able to skip English and Social Studies today (2 hours this morning) and join in the walk-a-thon instead.  They surpassed their goal and ended up raising over $460!  I was so impressed with their efforts!  I even had one student empty her pockets this morning of all her change and add it to the total.  

Visit http://www.zacknation.com/ to see Zack's story and, if you are able, consider making a donation.
'Tis the season of teacher layoffs, and I was not spared this year.  I got my lay-off notice this afternoon.  It's a bummer, but it's part of the job.  In my district, all teachers below 7 or 8 years of seniority are laid off, so I'm working my way to that magic number to keep some stability.  I'll reapply and I'm pretty confident I'll get a contract somewhere next year, but I probably won't get to stay at my school :(
Ending on a happier note, I found out that my TeachersPayTeachers store is in the top 35 sellers in B.C.!  If I break into the top 20, I will have a sale and big giveaways!  To help me reach that goal, visit my store, One Teacher's Adventures, follow me, and share me with your friends!


If you aren't on TpT, let me refer you!


That's it for tonight.  I'm off to catch up on House of Cards on Netflix.  Enjoy your weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Isn't this linky so fun! Your lake pictures are beautiful and congrats on your TpT store success!
    :) Dana
    Common to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a busy week! Sorry to hear you were laid off! After 8 years in one school this still happened to me!

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It wasn't a surprise, but it doesn't get any easier having to move around.

      Delete