Skip to main content

Middle School Classroom Reveal


This is my third year at my current school, and my third different classroom!  I feel cautiously optimistic that this will be my last move, so I'm making the room my own. This is my Grade 7 classroom:

I asked for tables instead of desks to encourage collaboration and team work.

Since my students don't have desks, they each have a drawer in the drawer carts to hold their supplies.


Drawers in use.


The pages next to my homework board are cover sheets that list all assignments and due dates for the term. If students are absent, they can check the cover sheets to see what they missed.
 
Extra assignments are kept by subject folder in the crate. The red baskets are my hand-in baskets. Students are not allowed to hand in assignments to me directly, it all has to go into the bin.
Extra assignments crate.
  

My classroom library is organized by genre. Each different genre has a different coloured sticker on the spine so the kids can find them easily.

We brainstormed classroom jobs together as a class. Each day, there are two students responsible for each job.
  
This is behind my desk. It has my photocopies for each subject for the week.

So that's my classroom so far!  What do you think? Let me know in the comments below.


Looking for more great tips and ideas for middle school? Subscribe to my email list and receive an exclusive FREE sub plans resource. It includes plans for math, ELA, science, social studies, and Core French. Click here to subscribe.

Comments

  1. Hi Diane, Your classroom looks great! I hope you get to stay there, too:) It's tough moving around year to year.
    I'm a newly retired first grade teacher from Victoria, also!
    Take care.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Come To Canada! A travel brochure using typical Canadian Stereotypes.

As a wrap-up project to a lesson on stereotypes with a Grade 7 class, I decided to have the students create travel brochures for our great country, but they were only allowed to use typical Canadian stereotypes to bring in tourists. Each student had to include information on food, accommodations, sights, and activities to try.  It was hilarious to read what they came up with!  I was very impressed with their final projects!  Some students included typical Canadian advertisements, as well! So, what do you think? Would this work in your classroom? Have you done something similar? Let me know in the comments below. Looking for more great tips and ideas for middle school? Subscribe to my email list and receive an exclusive FREE sub plans resource. It includes plans for math, ELA, science, social studies, and Core French. Click  here  to subscribe.

Using Disney's "Inside Out" With Middle Schoolers

I love Disney movies!  My first memory of going to see a movie in the theatre was with my mom and sister when I was about 3 to see The Little Mermaid.  Since then, I've been hooked.  I still go to see Disney movies with my sister when they come out in the theatre, but now we also take her 5-year old son (most of the time). When I saw "Inside Out" this summer, I loved it!  It takes place inside the brain of an 11-year-old girl named Riley.  The main characters are Riley's emotions - Joy, Sadness, Fear, Disgust, and Anger.  The emotions interact with each other and steer Riley through her days, creating memories.  Riley's core memories (important times in her life) create aspects of her personality as Personality Islands.  Riley's 5 main personality islands are Goofball Island, Family Island, Friends Island, Hockey Island, and Honesty Island. When Riley was young, Joy was steering most of her actions, but in the course of the movie, Riley's family mov

Water Cycle Foldable

My Grade 4's are learning about weather in science.  To help them understand the water cycle better, we created foldable water cycles.   On each of the four flaps, we wrote the processes of the water cycle, and under the flaps, gave definitions of the process or information about that part of the water cycle.   My students enjoyed making the foldables, and now have a better understanding of the water cycle.  This activity was a great supplement to the weather pack I created.  The class is working through that pack, but when we came to the water cycle section, a significant group of them were still confused about the processes.  Instead of simply memorizing the water cycle, they were able to engage with it.  This activity was a good, interactive piece that helped to cement the ideas into their memories.  After they created the foldable, almost every student earned 100% on the water cycle quiz in the weather pack! To view the weather pack we are u