Skip to main content

When a Lesson Takes 35 Minutes but You Planned for 50

Every once in a while, I plan a lesson that I am sure will take the entire class, then I look at the clock and somehow there are still 15 minutes left. It's not really enough time to start something new, but it's definitely enough time for a room full of middle schoolers to find their own entertainment.

When I was a newer teacher, this used to stress me out. I felt like I needed to have every minute of every class planned, and if we finished early, I had somehow planned the lesson badly. I would scramble to come up with something else for students to do, or I'd stretch out the lesson I had planned just to fill the time.

After 16 years of teaching, I've accepted that sometimes lessons just don't take as long as you think they will. Sometimes students understand something much faster than I expected. Sometimes an activity that took another class 25 minutes takes this class 15. Sometimes I planned for a great discussion and my students have absolutely nothing to say. Sometimes I have greatly overestimated how long it takes to cut out 20 little pieces of paper.

It happens.

I've also learned that I don't need to turn a 35-minute lesson into a 50-minute lesson just because there are 50 minutes available. If students understand what I wanted them to learn, making them do another 15 minutes of the same thing doesn't necessarily make the lesson better. What I do need is a plan for those extra 15 minutes.

Keep a Few Activities in Your Back Pocket

I like to have a few activities that don't require much preparation and can be pulled out whenever I unexpectedly have some time to fill. They aren't really part of the lesson, and I don't necessarily need everyone to finish them. They're just useful activities that can expand or shrink to fit the time I have available.

What I use depends a lot on the subject.

In math, we might do a number talk, play a quick math game, practice basic facts, work on a puzzle, or review something we've learned recently. Sometimes I'll put a question on the board and have students solve it in as many different ways as they can. We also might try a Which One Doesn't Belong or Estimation 180 puzzle.

In French, quick games are perfect for this. We can play a vocabulary game, practice with mini whiteboards, do a quick partner activity, or review vocabulary from an earlier unit. Five minutes is enough for a couple of rounds, but most of these activities can also keep going if I suddenly have 15 or 20 minutes available.

If I'm teaching English or Social Studies, silent reading is always an option. We can also do a quick-write, journal response, vocabulary activity, would you rather question, rebus puzzles, or discussion question.

None of these need to be elaborate. In fact, the whole point is that they aren't.

Do Something Fun Together

Sometimes, if we have an unexpected 10 or 15 minutes, I don't try to squeeze in more academic work at all. We'll play a game together. I keep a few online games bookmarked that are easy to pull up on the projector. We might play FoodGuessr, Travle, Wordle, Connections, or something similar. The whole class can work together, throw out ideas and try to solve the puzzle.

I really like these moments. There isn't always a lot of time during the school day when we're doing something simply as a class rather than working on an assignment or trying to get through the curriculum. A quick game gives everyone a chance to relax a little, laugh together and contribute without anything being graded.

Use the Time for Things We Never Seem to Have Time For

Extra time can also be useful for all of those little things that seem to get pushed aside during a regular lesson. Students can organize their binders. They can clean out the collection of crumpled papers that has somehow accumulated in the bottom of their backpack. They can check whether they're missing any assignments. They can sharpen pencils, refill supplies or put things where they belong.

Sometimes I'll give students a few minutes to look back at their work and figure out whether there is anything they need help with. This is especially useful in math. My students check their own practice work using the answer keys I provide, so unexpected extra time is a great opportunity for them to look at the questions they got wrong and ask for help if they can't figure out what happened.

It isn't flashy, but it's useful.

Revisit Something Instead of Starting Something New

I've also become much more comfortable going backwards. If we have ten minutes left, I don't necessarily need to introduce the next concept just because we technically have time. Sometimes it's better to revisit something we learned yesterday, last week or even last month. This can be as simple as putting three review questions on the board.

It also gives me a chance to see what students actually remember once we've moved on. Something they could do easily when we were practicing it every day might suddenly be a little less secure two weeks later.

Let Students Have a Little Choice

Sometimes I'll give students a few productive options instead.

They might be able to read, finish something from another class, organize their binder, practice something they need to work on or work ahead. This works better with some classes than others. "You have 15 minutes; use it wisely" can go very differently depending on which group of middle schoolers is sitting in front of you!

I usually give specific choices rather than declaring it free time. My go to is usually "Read, Write, Draw, or Quiet Game." The goal isn't to reward students because we finished early. It's just to use the time we have in a way that makes sense.

Don't Fill Time Just for the Sake of Filling Time

This is probably the biggest thing I've changed. I used to think that every minute needed to be filled with whatever lesson I had planned. If an activity was supposed to take 20 minutes and students finished it in ten, I felt like I needed to add more questions or stretch the discussion.

Now, I'm much more willing to call something finished when it's finished.

There's no prize for making a lesson take exactly 50 minutes. If students have learned what I wanted them to learn, I'd rather spend the remaining time reviewing something useful, letting them get organized, playing a quick game or giving them some independent work time than add busywork simply because my lesson ended earlier than expected.

Having a few reliable activities ready means I don't have to panic when I glance at the clock and discover that my perfectly planned lesson has somehow ended at 10:35.

Because 15 unplanned minutes with 30 middle schoolers can feel much longer than 15 minutes.

How do you deal with extra time at the end of a lesson? Let me know in the comments below.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using Disney's "Inside Out" With Middle Schoolers

I love Disney movies!  My first memory of going to see a movie in the theatre was with my mom and sister when I was about 3 to see The Little Mermaid.  Since then, I've been hooked.  I still go to see Disney movies with my sister when they come out in the theatre, but now we also take her 5-year old son (most of the time). When I saw "Inside Out" this summer, I loved it!  It takes place inside the brain of an 11-year-old girl named Riley.  The main characters are Riley's emotions - Joy, Sadness, Fear, Disgust, and Anger.  The emotions interact with each other and steer Riley through her days, creating memories.  Riley's core memories (important times in her life) create aspects of her personality as Personality Islands.  Riley's 5 main personality islands are Goofball Island, Family Island, Friends Island, Hockey Island, and Honesty Island. When Riley was young, Joy was steering most of her actions, but in the course of the movie, Riley's f...

Rebus Puzzles = So Much Fun!

It's been another wet and rainy Saturday in Victoria, so I spent the morning with brainteasers!  (I know, I'm a total nerd!)  When I was in school, I used to love rebus puzzles.   What are rebus puzzles?  They are word puzzles that illustrate a familiar phrase or saying.  I didn't know until today that they were called Rebus, but now that I know, I want to use the name as much as possible!   I found a couple online, then I decided to make some handouts for my English classes to use as a warm up.  While I was making them, I thought to myself, "Self, this would make a great TpT item!"  I created 36 pages of these brainteasing puzzles, one for each week of a school year, and bundled them up.  They are for sale at my TpT store, One Teacher's Adventures. If you are as nerdy as I am on a rainy Saturday, perhaps you'd like to try some out? See if you can solve these puzzles! For the answers, click here . To buy the packa...

Personal Coat Of Arms

My Grade 8's have been studying the Medieval Period in Social Studies.  As we were looking at the Magna Carta, several students asked about the Coats of Arms around the outside of the document.  They were quite interested in them, so we ended up researching the Coat of Arms of our school's namesake.  That's when I decided to have my students create one of their own. Several students researched their own family crest and used symbols and images they found from their ancestors.  Others included pictures of things that were important to them. For the assignment, I asked them to include at least 4 symbols that represent themselves in some way.  In addition to the Coat of Arms, they needed to include a write-up explaining the significance of each image. I think next year I will use this activity as a beginning of the year "get to know you" activity.  It can easily be adapted to fit any grade.  Even Kindergarten students could draw pictures and talk...